Monday 25 February 2008

Drive & Swear

This morning's Light & Easy was discussing about a study of people in the office who goes potty-mouth or swearing to release work tension. It made me think how true it is. You feel tense then you swear to release some steam. Blowing off steam is fine by me, but I do not approve of people swearing in the office and saying nasty words that other people would feel uncomfortable with it. Just a light potty mouth session would suffice, I think.
Anyway, my favourite swear words these days is a**hole, which is said privately in my car. Its simple and really potrays the person that I'm swearing at:) Since I been driving to work the past week due to the absence of my other half and the availability of the car to me, I found my self uttering the swear words freely. I am pissed of at Malaysian drivers, the women drivers in particular. Hey, no offense to the ladies out there, but your driving sucked. Its true that women driver are the worst, hence all the jokes about women drivers. But Malaysian drivers are very kiasu and kan cheong, they would take every opportunity to squeeze pass the traffic, without considering other people and sometimes endangering other motorists. I might also be in this category, but I do compromise in some situations: 1. people crossing the road, 2. motorists who bother to signal, 3. animal crossing, 4. handicap drivers.
The journey from Gombak to PWTC is not that far but in the morning Jalan Genting Kelang can be quite hellish. At 7.30am, the cars start piling up and everybody would lose their road ethics in order to make it on time to work. Cars start to cut each other's queue, millions of motorcycles criss-crossing in between cars, buses stopping by the side of the road, people crossing the road, other cars coming in from junctions (having discovered a shortcut way). You can imagine how bad this road is every morning. And when you give way to one car, then another car, would try to take advantage by cutting in the way. You do good to people, somehow, other people would take advantage of you. But this is the Malaysian drivers' culture, either you be bugged by it or live with it! At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which cars cut your queue...I am quite satisfied if I can swear at them and self assure that I'm the better driver for being more considerate.
To keep my sanity, I now practice this mantra: I am a better driver that you...I am a better driver than you...

2 comments:

la Signora said...

Driving in Kuching prompts me to get in touch with my malay-side, hence the mesti-swear word when driving is K*MAK (the short word for p***mak).Teruk daa...

I have not ventured out driving here in Adelaide yet, not because that the drivers menakotkan, in fact with no motosikal crisscrossing (aka nyamuk as we call 'em in Malaysia), should make driving a pleasure...but I'm sooooo confused at the garisan on the road!!Too much garisan!!!ARghhhh!

Anonymous said...

Yes...I hate them nyamuks...always bugging me...don't they have left hand driving in Adelaide?