Tuesday 20 March 2012

Unnatural Disaster

(Illustrations only. This is NOT my apartment)
 
Things will happen when you least expect them, which is the most infuriating part of all. But then I'm no clairvoyant and don't know what will happen in the future. Well, the thing that happened was more of negligence on me/hubby's part. 

Our current apartment is small but comfortable for two. Our washing machine water outlet is through the second/guest bathroom. So whenever we have guest (which is quite rare), we kind of fold up the long water pipe to the side of the washing machine, so that if they want to use the bathroom, the door can be properly closed. So last Saturday we had some guests in our apartment. Hubby did the needful with the water pipe. That same night around 11++ I decided to wash my clothes. Put everything in the washing machine and I let it run. Before I went to bed, I noticed water seeping in the other bathroom and I just thought it was from the bathroom, so I just mop it up and went to bed.

When we woke up the next morning, lo and behold our apartment was flooded! our carpets were soaked and the floor was wet. The water level wasn't high only like a puddle under my feet but was enough to drench the carpets and legs of furniture and my linens & comforters which i stored underneath the bed in my spare bedroom. We had to spend the whole morning mopping the rooms and making sure everything was dry with the aide of a stand fan. I had to dry the carpet outside on the communal lawn and luckily only took two hours to completely dry (turned it over once). I had to wash all the wet linens and comforters (making sure I had the water pipe in the bathroom!). Phew! It was a long day.

It was a lesson learned - never take your home equipments for granted or you may wake up with some surprises!

No comments: