Saturday 1 December 2007

Starry, starry night

On my way to IKEA today, the radio played Don McLean's "American Pie". I was feeling nostalgic, remembering that I had bought his "Best Of" collection sometime ago, and now sadly the cassette has been misplaced. Not that I'd be able to play it coz I don't own a cassette player. Some of my favourite Don McLean's songs are "Wonderful Baby", "Vincent", "Driedel", "La La Love You". Somebody in the office played "Vincent" on her PC last week, I was quite surprised as people in my generation don't normally listen to folk music, not especially Don Mclean. The airwaves nowadays are dominated by alternative, hip hop, R&B and others. Some songs are ok, but I still prefer Light & Easy.
I'd have to say that my dad have influenced me a lot in my choice of music...he used to play the Beatles, Don McLean, Simon & Garfunkel, Ella Fitzgerald in the car. I like oldies, and the 70s music....
Don McLeans songs are quite haunting and beautiful, I'm not an expert in discussing songs and lyrics but song like "Wonderful Babies" makes me feel like I'm in one of those Disney babies cartoon, with the water nymph and babies floating on water...."Vincent" is a tribute song to the tragic but talented painter Vincent Van Gogh - his lyrics:
For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one As beautiful as you.
For more "Vincent" lyrics and sample of the song, please visit this website:

No comments: