Monday 8 June 2009

My Gazpacho Adventure

Essentially, Gazpacho is chilled soup made from veggies. It has thirst quenching ability. The original Spanish gazpacho were made from stale bread soaked in cool water, garlic, olive oil and vinegar. Other gazpachos recipes such as green and oriental gazpacho may included some of these ingredients: lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper and chicken broth. The most important thing is the chicken broth.

I love soups, they are my comfort food. So over the weekend, I was inspired by Nigella's slime soup which combines frozen peas, chicken stock and mozarella. I had some mix vegies in the freezer and some chicken stock I had made and frozen. I'm not crazy about frozen carrots and corn, but I loved the green peas. Not to let anything go to waste, I combine the two ingredients and heat it up. Add a dollop of mayonnaise cause I don't have any sour cream or milk to make it more creamy. Cool it down, and blitz till smooth in a blender. Chill in the fridge till serving time. And voila!


Tip for blending hot liquid:

Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth - taken from Nigella's slime soup recipe in Food Network.

And the verdict? Ms Fantaghiro was my guinea pig. I gave her a bowl and she said that it was delicious with a nutty flavour (because of the corn) and does have a cooling effect. So yay! My gazpacho experiment was a success. Try it, you might like it. Especially in this hot weather....

5 comments:

la Signora said...

Ooooh, looks yummy.Alas, it's winter here, so making gazpacho would only increase my gegaran.

If gegaran can rid off lemak, no hal.Heh.

Kerabu Jantung said...

Misi Fantagiro memang suka anything that don't need chewing ....so don't be too flattered by it!

fantaghiro said...

guinea pig???
cis!!
anyway the gazpacho is nice, and yeah, i do like things that don't need chewing because of my kemalasan..HAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

ps..feed me!! feed me!!!

Beautiful Life said...

Fantaghiro: Well I was gonna say that you were sweating like a pig, thus u became my guinea pig. But it became a tounge twister hahaha

Kerabu Jantung: Yes she is an incredibly slow eater....i think the ants come faster to the bowl than her finishing it!

La Signora: lah lupak aku kinek winter time. Oh well, can save the idea when u'r having those long,hot summer....

Beautiful Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.